Monday, June 22, 2009

Behind The Art Monday

Today's Behind The Art Monday interview features Julie from Juleseveland who makes fun and creative cards. They are beautifully designed so I hope you take a minute to get to know Julie and take a peek around her shop. Enjoy!

Introduce yourself.

My name is Julie Eveland, and I live in Lincoln, Nebraska. I make cards, and am in the process of making upcycled magazine bowls. I have been making and selling cards for about 5 years now, and love every minute of it!

Tell us about your art. What do you make? How did you come to your craft?

I started making cards after I started getting into scrapbooking with my sisters. I use stamps, stickers, mosaic scraps, my own handwriting, charms, paper piecings, you name it! It's so much fun to come up with ideas and create! I actually use to be a Graphic Designer so some of that creation revolves around my cards.



What inspires your work? Describe your creative process and tell us about your favorite materials to work with.

I get inspiration from a variety of things- magazines, graphic design books, computer galleries, even clothes. Once I get an idea in my head, I write it down and draw. I also keep a 3 ring binder full of ideas and occasionally look off the images. I love working with stamps (my obsession)...and watercolor pencils. I also can't get enough of cardstock!

What are your goals for your shop?

To try to sell at least one item! To get my name out there, and network with other creative artists.

What do you do when you are not creating?

Work, watch movies with my husband, spend time with my two cats, go for walks.




What are your favorite hobbies other than crafting?

Horseback riding and reading

What brought you to Etsy? Do you sell anywhere else?

My friend that likes to glance through the images on the home page everyday brought me to Etsy. She got me and my sister hooked ever since. My sister also sells her work on Etsy. I have sold my cards at one Craft Fair & individual friends and family.

Where can we find you online?

I'm on Twitter and Facebook- Julie Eveland or juleseveland.



What is your favorite item in your shop?

My mosaic card. I put a lot of time and care into the mosaic cards and would hopefully find a home for them!

What is the most valuable thing you have learned from your art and being an Etsy seller?

That it takes a lot of work to get your name out there, and you have to put time and money into something to sell something.

Anything else you would like us to know about you?

My sister also sells cards on Etsy- handmadecardsbyjen, and we kind of started selling on Etsy around the same time. We love making our cards and are our own worst critic! I would love to start friendships on Etsy, and meet lots of new people. Thank you!

~See more of Julie's work by visiting Juleseveland on Etsy.

**************************************************************************************
Don't forget to enter the fantastic giveaways featured on my blog. Check out the left side bar for a list of current ones.

2 comments:

Sierra said...

Her cards are very lovely and so much fun to make! Yes, I totally agree that it takes time to invest in a business, but it is worth it if it is truly your passion. ;)

OliveStreetStudio said...

great cards....very nice design.