Monday, July 20, 2009

Behind The Art Monday

Today's Behind The Art Monday interview is with Lisa from Thoughtful Expressions. she makes jewelry, greeting cards and cute beaded flip flops. Enjoy!

Introduce yourself.


My name is Lisa Anderson and I'm from Atlanta, GA

Tell us about your art. What do you make? How did you come to your craft?

I make jewelry and have started making beaded flip flops for the spring and summer seasons. I got started making jewelry because my husband and I walked in the Breast Cancer 3-Day last year in memory of my mother and someone suggested that I should make jewelry and sell it as a fundraiser so that is what I did. I received a lot of compliments and raised a lot of money so I decided to try it out as a business and here I am.


What inspires your work? Describe your creative process and tell us about your favorite materials to work with.

I am inspired when I see something that is beautiful or relaxing and a name will pop into my head and then I will create something to go along with that name. Sometimes I just see some pretty beads and a design comes to me. I enjoy working with all kinds of beads. I love the sparkle of swarovski crystals and the beauty of lampwork beads. I like functional pieces that you can wear with a variety of outfits.


What are your goals for your shop?

My goal is to create quality jewelry that people fall in love with. There is nothing like seeing a piece of jewelry and wanting to match everything you wear to it! I also want to provide quality jewelry that everyone can afford and unique pieces that you won't see on anyone else.


What do you do when you are not creating?


When I'm not creating jewelry I am taking care of kids. I have 3 of my own and also provide childcare full time.



What is your favorite hobby other than crafting?

I would have to say spending time with my family. They are the most important thing to me and we do a lot of things together. Sometimes we even design together!


What brought you to Etsy? Do you sell anywhere else?


A friend of mine told me about Etsy and suggested that I try it out so I did. I have also sold at a few festivals and to people I know. My daughter is my little sales person at her school. She has sold a lot of things to the teachers!
Where can we find you online?

Etsy is the only place for now. I haven't branched out anywhere else yet but I'm looking into it.

What is your favorite item in your shop?

My favorite jewelry piece in my shop right now is the Sparrows Flight necklace and earring set



My favorite non-jewelry piece is this pair of flip flops that would be great as comfortable reception shoes for a bridal party and they will go great with a little sun dress.

What is the most valuable thing you have learned from your art and being an Etsy seller?

Patience for one. Both in creating the jewelry or flip flops and in waiting for sales. Also the importance of networking and being involved with others to get the word out about my shop.

Anything else you would like us to know about you?

I love creating things that others love to wear. I am constantly thinking about what other things I can try. Oh, the best part about what I do is that a portion of all sales goes to help fight cancer!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
See more from Thoughtful Expressions in her Etsy shop.

0 comments: