Monday, August 17, 2009

Behind The Art Monday


Today's interview is with Leeya Engel from Modi'in, Israel. Her shop is called Leeya and features fimo clay jewelry and singed organza blossom accessories. Leeya tells us, "I have always and will always love experimenting with crafts and new materials."

What inspires your work? Describe your creative process and tell us about your favorite materials to work with.

I love the way that the organza changes shape during the singeing process. I love making tiny precious details and setting crystals into my fimo creations. I love when something turns out evem more beautiful than I had planned. I love when things turn out beautiful without my having planned.
What are your goals for your Etsy shop?

My goal for my shop besides for having it cover the expenses of he materials I am always inevitably buying from various craft shops is to have an outlet for my designs. If I have a whole bunch of stuff I have made at home then I have no reason to make more. If the stuff starts selling then I have a reason to continue crafting and a justification for what I love to do.

What do you do when you're not crafting? Any favorite hobbies?

When I am not crafting I am probably doing homework or preparing for a lab or hanging with my hubby. I am pursuing a masters in Materials Science and Engineering. In addition to crafting, I like to paint while listening to soft music and to write poetry.

How did you come to Etsy? Do you sell anywhere else?

A friend of mine turned me on to etsy one day and since then I've been hooked (serious spend-too-much-time-on-etsy-anonymous). I also sell my fimo earrings and rings in a local store.

Where can we find you online?

I twitter (LeeyaEngel) I facebook (Leeya Engel) and I have a craft blog where I talk about my work: http://LeeyaEngel.blogspot.com
What is your favorite item in your shop?

It's tough to pick a favorite item...I'd have to say these days its my Cherry Lover Earrings

What is the most valuable thing you have learned from your art and being an Etsy seller?

Great question. I have learned so many things. First of all I believe that by selling in a community like etsy I have been able to compare my items to those of others which helps with pricing and uniqueness. I find it so inspiring to admire the work of other crafters. My photography and photoshop skills have improved dramatically. I have also learned that creating an online presence and personality is an important thing and that it is something that you really need to build over time.

I hope that you enjoy etsy as much as I do! Happy crafting, shopping, and wearing :)
*************************************************************************************

1 comments:

Leeya Engel said...

I am so flattered to have been featured! Thanks again!