Sunday, May 24, 2009

Behind The Art Mondays


This week's Behind The Art Monday Interview is with Kieu from tealightshoppe. She is 20 years old, originally from Texas and is currently living in San Francisco. Kieu is offering readers 25% off their purchase when they leave the code "mail02" in the notes to seller upon checkout. Hope you enjoy meeting another great Etsy artist!

Tell us about your art. What do you make? How did you come to your craft?

I make cute limited edition accessories ranging from necklaces and bracelets to cell phone charms. It all started when I was at the art store and came across some polymer clay. I was playing around with it and had the idea to make some cell phone charms. It then expanded into other mediums like jewelry making.

What inspires your work? Describe your creative process and tell us about your favorite materials to work with.

I take most of my inspiration from the beach. I like using beachy colors like blue, mint and sand. I usually choose the colors I like first and then I go about making my items from the beautiful colors I've chosen. It's kind of spontaneous, but it's been working for me thus far. My favorite materials to work with are Swarovski beads and polymer clay.

What are your goals for your shop?

I want to expand to different kinds of accessories and I want to turn this shop into much more then a hobby. I'm actually unveiling a new set of accessories soon so be on the lookout for them.


What are you doing when you aren't creating?


I'm still in college so when I'm not crafting, I can be found at school.

What is your favorite hobby?

My other favorite hobby is web designing. I've been doing it for over six years. I just like being able to make artwork into something functional, like a website.

What brought you to Etsy? Do you sell anywhere else?

Etsy seemed like the perfect community for me, since most of the shops there sell handmade items. Currently, I don't sell anywhere else, but eventually I hope to have enough customers to make my own website and sell it through there.

Where can we find you online?

Twitter: http://twitter.com/tealightshoppe
Blog: http://tea-light.net



What is your favorite item in your shop?

My favorite item is the Swarovski Dangle Bracelet. It took me a very long time to make it.

What is the most valuable lesson you have learned from your art and being an Etsy seller?

I've learned to not sell my art for less than it's worth. From being an Etsy seller, I've learned to take good pictures, because your customer won't be able to see the product in real life so the pictures must convey the product as best as possible.

Anything else you would like us to know?

I do make custom items so if you ever need something for a special occasion, you can always let me know.

You can see more from tealightshoppe here.

All photos are courtesy of tealightshoppe.

5 comments:

Audrey said...

Great interview!! What a wonderful shop.

... said...

OH CUTE CUTE CUTE ITEMS!

Sierra said...

Love the tea-light items! Very beautiful and I checked out the site on Etsy. My favorite is the sweet bunny and flower. I love bunnies! I love hearing that other 20 something gals like myself are out there creating. I am 24 and trying to get my Etsy shop up and running too while I work full time. Matter of fact, I just sent you a message on Etsy with my Etsy info. I would love to be featured on your site and give away a kit! Please let me know more details when you get a chance, and you have a new blog follower. I hope you follow mine too. :) Thanks!

Michelle said...

Just wanted to let you know that I gave you the "Lovely Blog" award :) Come check it out! Thanks for reading!

Unknown said...

Hey! I gave you the Lovely Blog Award! Take a look at my blog to see it.