Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Over the marshes and through the woods and to the beach I go!

The beach at the end of the trail

A view of the ocean and marshes from the summit


Yesterday I went on a little hiking adventure to Morse Mountain in Phippsburg, Maine, not far from where I live. I have always enjoyed hiking, trying to pack as many hikes in as I can into our short summers, and I really enjoyed this hike especially because it leads down to the ocean, which I LOVE. This very small mountain is part of a nature conservation area run by Bates College, but they are nice enough to share it with nature loving visitors. The trail is a 2 mile road leading over a beautiful marsh, through the woods filled with happily chirping birds, up the mountain and back down the other side on to a very secluded and peaceful beach. A really nice place to walk, and I love that the beach is so quiet. My favorite beach, which is literally down the beach from this place is always so overcrowded, so this could be a nice alternative for a refreshing swim after an enjoyable hike.

6 comments:

Cherry Tart Design said...

I've always wanted to go to Maine. Very pretty! You're so lucky to have such beautiful places to hike so close to home.

LostRiverRags said...

Gorgeous photos...I'll be its lovely there.

K said...

Beautiful photos! I especially like the second - reminds me of the salt marshes in back of my cousins' house. =) Makes me want to get off my computer and go explore Acadia or the Camden hills!

Siobhan said...

Beautiful photos! I visited Maine several years ago for a very quick trip and I loved it and have always wanted to go back.

Heather Leavers said...

oh this is FABULOUS! I love the sea, and walking.

Natasha said...

I LOVE Maine...my family vacationed there last year...it's incredible...these photos make me want to go back right now! A quiet beach?? Sounds like heaven to me...thank you so much for sharing!